Wood-Nurmes and the old market town
• The historic and beautiful old market town is one of the best preserved wooden housing estates in Finland. Most of the houses date from the period of time between the 1880s and the 1930s. There is a magnificent view from the area over Lake Nurmes and Lake Pielinen. The town plan of Wood-Nurmes is on the list of protected
structures. Walking is the best way to see this area.
Bomba House and Karelian Village
• The Bomba Karelian Village offers hotel and restaurant services, a spa, tourist activity services, summer market, summer theatre and an Orthodox prayer hut. Suojärvenkatu 1, 75500 Nurmes, Finland.
Nurmes museum, Kötsi museum
• History of Nurmes from different points of view: prehistory, hunting,fishing and life in the early 20th century market town. Open Mon-Fri 10-16. Free entry. Kötsintie 2, 75500 Nurmes
Kotiniementie 2, 75530 Nurmes, tel. +358 40 104 5154, www.nurmes.fi/museo, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Outdoor museum, local history.
Open 22.6.-7.8. Mon-Fri 10-16. Admission 2/1 €.
• i.e. library, museum and Gallery Tyko.
Desing Airi Hietala, silver jewelery shop
Airi Hietala, Tel. +358 45 7840 4065, www.akoru.net
• Fall in love with jewelry. Workshop of the artist who made the Nurmes-pedant. Excursions and shopping by agreement.
Gallery and art lending Aamu&Virkku
An exhibition of paintings from local artists. Tel. +358 40 9643 558, www.aamuvirkku.fi Kirkkokatu 32, Nurmes
Nurmes evangelical lutheran church
• Built by the 17th century perpendicular style during the years 1893- 1896. Fifth largest church in Finland with apprx.2000 seats.
Nurmes orthodox church
Kirkkokatu 31 A, 75500 Nurmes, tel. +358 13 480 293, www.ort.fi/nurmes
• The church was built during the years 1958-1959, it is consecrated to the apostles Peter and Paul. Open by agreement.
Old church ridge and church park
• War cemeteries and statues, old belfry and memorials related to the history of Nurmes.
THIS IS NEW! Steam engine depot tour
• Steam engines, diesel locomotives, wagons and much more. Fully restored steam engines are available for heritage train rides in summer. The historic trains are also serviced and repaired in the depot. You can also choose to order a train for your own use to celebrate the events of a firm or a society, birthdays, weddings etc. Minimum
group size of 2 by order. Höyryraide Ltd, tel. +358 400 845 466
The Path of the Locoman - Nurmes railroad history map
Follow the map and get to know the Nurmes railroad history. Map here!